What is Infant Massage?
Infant Massage is an age-old tradition. There are artifacts depicting Infant Massage in India dating back to BC times. It is most likely to be a tradition that has been passed down from mother to child since the beginning of time.
Why would I want to practice Infant Massage?
Benefits of Infant Massage for Baby
- Infant-Parent attachment or “bonding”
- Promotes better sleep
- Boosts immune system
- Sensory stimulation
- Improves blood circulation
- Helps digestion
- Balances respiration
- Help waste elimination
- Helps build parents’ and baby’s self-esteem
- Parents learn techniques to comfort, calm and soothe their babies, creating confidence in ability to nurture and soothe
- Infant Massage is one of the most natural and pleasant methods of providing this important early nurturing and an amazing tool for helping parents become closer to their babies.
Infant Massage provides these benefits in distinct ways:
Stimulates all the systems of the body including the:
- Nervous system
- Circulatory system
- Respiratory System
- Elimination System
- Immune System
Stimulates the release of oxytocin, known as the cuddle hormone (is released in both parent and child), prolactin (promoting milk production in the mother) and other endorphins.
Reduces muscle stiffness and normalizes muscle tone
- Helps relieve tension built up from stimulation in the baby’s environment
- Helps babies handle sensory stimulation and respond in a relaxed manner
- Promotes better sleep for baby
- Helps regulate sleep/wake cycle
- Encourages a routine in baby’s life, allowing baby to feel prepared for new/end of day
- Helps tone digestive tract
- Helps alleviate gas and promote elimination
- Releases hormones for food absorption.
- Releases endorphins, natural pain killers, to ease emotional distress
Bonding and Attachment
- Infant massage draws on all the elements of bonding and attachment
- Eye-to-eye contact, skin-to-skin, body scent, vocalization, taste, responsiveness
- Hormones stimulated by infant massage promote bonding and attachment between parent and baby
What environment is Infant Massage done in?
Infant Massage Instruction can be done anywhere. From your living room floor, to a formal class in a studio. While baby is in the bath, to a sunny day in the park with a Mom’s group.
How can I schedule a lesson?
I continue to hold classes in Alameda quarterly. Stay tuned to my website for current information, and remember to sign up for my email list to be notified of the next series.
I am also always delighted to meet with your Mother’s (or Fathers!) group. This can be a fun way to create support for each other, learn new techniques, and even practice on each other’s babies!
Mother’s Groups- $10 per person
Studio Lessons – $160 per series (Series are 3 consecutive weeks, and 75 minutes in length)
Please contact me today with your interests or question pertaining to this beautiful gift you can give to your child. And don’t underestimate the power it gives to the parent. All those generations can’t be wrong!